Thursday, July 26, 2012

RELAX and ENJOY the PROCESS take 2

Disneyland 1/2 Marathon Start Line 2011
Yesterday I wrote about Relaxing and Enjoying the Process.  This morning I had a chance to think on that a bit more.


Earlier this year I registered for my 2nd 1/2 Marathon.  My goal at that point was to beat last year's time. And I figured that the move to Georgia would help because I would be able to get out and train earlier than I would in Minnesota.  (With respect to all of my MN friends who run in the winter -- your nuts!)


But then I tore the meniscus in my right knee.


The good news in that statement is that I have an awesome chiropractor and have been able to avoid surgery.


I am behind in the training.  And the reality is at this point my goal is the same as it was last year:  To finish in the time allotted.


So this morning, in stead of working on speed, I was working on increasing distance.  Tuesdays and Thursdays are "short days".  Last year at this time I was doing 4-5 miles on short runs.  And I was on a fairly consistent 30:30 run:walk cycle. Today I increased my distance to 4.5 miles.  Most all of it walking.  


Saturday is my long run day.  Last Saturday I should have been at 11 miles.  I did 6.  This weekend I will work to go further.


But what does this have to do with RELAXING and ENJOYING the process?  The knee injury has forced me to slow down this run season.  Understand that slowing down doesn't naturally equate with relaxing.  Relaxing is a state of mind. I realized this AM that I am really ENJOYING the morning walks.  I'm not focused on beating anything.  My focus is on how GOOD I feel; how GRATEFUL I am to the people that have helped and encouraged me to get to this point; and how Appreciative I am of their continued support.  


I realized today that I am RELAXING and Enjoying the process of training for this event.  I don't think I could have said that last year.


Exiting Disneyland (the first time) at about the 3.5 mile mark.
Looking forward to smiling my way through 13.1 miles again this year.




1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good plan! Goals are great but not when they become stressful. Relaxing and enjoying the morning, the blessings of being out and being able to run make it so much more fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.